Sunday, April 11, 2010

In the blink of an eye.

In the blink of an eye

Unfortunately, this post is not a race report from California 70.3, but an update on my season plan changes -- due to a very tragic accident in my family.  On February 26, 2010, my brother Mike, his wife Jill and their children, Makayla (2.5 yrs) and Bryce ( 6 mths), were in a fatal small airplane crash on the island of Ambergris Caye, Belize in Central America.  Mike and Jill had been living in Gallon Jug, Belize for the last 9 yrs working as teachers at the Gallon Jug Community School.  Mike was also the principal.  Gallon Jug, Belize is a small farming community on the mainland in the northwest part of the country.  The plane was traveling a very routine 20 min flight from Belize City out to the island when it experienced some mechanical problems and ended up crashing about a 1/4 mile from the runway.

My season at this point has been put on hold.  I withdrew from California 70.3 and will not be going to Ironman Utah in May.  From here, I have not decided what will be next; but as I move through this, I will keep my updates current.  Thank you for checking in -- Chris. 

3 comments:

  1. Writing this post took an enormous amount of heart and courage, Chris.
    Just keep reading that inner compass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. horrible news Chris. I can only imagine your pain as you deal w/this.

    be tough and we will see you on the start line someday, racing for your brother and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey."

    ReplyDelete